Follow on Twitter
Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Monday, July 30, 2012
Source: Equality Now
Equality Now. London, UK.
Open until filled.
Equality Now, an international human rights organisation dedicated to ending violence and discrimination against women globally, is seeking to recruit a Media Officer to assist it in increasing the visibility of its work and promoting advocacy in support of women’s rights around the world.
The Media Officer will be based in London and will report directly to the London Office Director. The Media Officer will work closely with the Global Communications Director and media officers in other Equality Now offices to implement a comprehensive communications strategy.
- Develop and implement a communications and information strategy to increase the visibility of Equality Now’s work to end violence and discrimination against women and girls in the European media and internationally
- Design and implement media campaigns on advocacy addressing violations of women’s rights
- Develop a comprehensive database of journalists and other interested parties and cultivate strong media contacts
- Draft and distribute press releases, letters to the editor, opinion pieces, articles and other news pieces to advance advocacy on women’s rights
- Pro-actively seek out media opportunities, story placements, interviews etc.
- Respond to media inquiries; prepare talking points; organise press conferences
- Contribute to the development of collateral materials promoting Equality Now and its advocacy
- Assist in organising and promoting special events
- Supervise media interns and volunteers
- Support updating of website content and content for social networking sites
- Support colleagues in their outreach efforts as needed
- Other duties as reasonably required
- A Bachelors’ degree preferably in Communications/Journalism/Public Relations or equivalent
- At least 5 years’ working experience, at least some of which should be in a similar role
- An awareness of and commitment to issues relating to women’s equality
- Experience in planning, writing, editing, producing and distributing newsletters, press releases, media advisories, letters to the editor and other print publications as well as experience with media outreach and pitching; existing good media contacts in this field
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills in English; facility in French, Spanish and/or Arabic also highly desirable
- Knowledge of and facility in a range of media, including social networks, visual media etc.
- Experience with special events and public speaking
- An effective and creative communicator, with experience addressing different audiences across multiple mediums and platforms; international experience particularly welcome
- Ability to work effectively, efficiently, diplomatically and calmly in a high-pressure environment on issues that are often complex and politically sensitive
- Energetic, pro-active, self-motivated and dedicated with the ability to juggle tasks effectively
- Flexible, with a commitment to teamwork and collaborative work practices
This is a new post for a year, with the possibility of renewal.
Please send a cv with cover letter plus two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Required writing samples:
- A marketing-oriented piece in the tone and style of an editorial or press release (no more than one page)
- A short blog post or email alert on a women’s rights issue
Article License: Copyright - Article License Holder: Equality Now